This guide explains the organization of Pulsar documentation and website repos and the workflow of updating various Pulsar documents.
Currently, the source of documents and website (where the docs are finally published) are located at the apache/pulsar-site repo.
Update versioned docs
If you want to update versioned docs, go to versioned_docs folder to find your desired one.
For versions prior to 2.8, Pulsar releases versioned docs for each patch release. You can update the exact versioned doc.
For versions start from 2.8, Pulsar release versioned docs for each minor release. Apart from updating the content, you should take care of adding specific instructions.
For example, if you want to add docs for an improvement introduced in 2.8.2, you can add the following instructions:
This <fix / improvment> is available for 2.8.2 and later versions.
Update reference docs
If you want to update Pulsar reference docs, you should update the corresponding source files.
- Some reference docs are generated from code automatically. If you want to update the docs, you need to update the source code files.
- Some configuration docs are updated manually using markdown files.
Update configuration docs
Docs for configs of bundled components are generated from command-line tools automatically:
Docs for configs of external components (whose source code is hosted outside the Pulsar repositories) are updated manually:
|Components||Update where ...|
Update command-line tool docs
Docs for bundled Java-based command-line tools are generated automatically:
|pulsar||Different subcommands of bin/pulsar are updated in different code files|
|pulsar-admin||Classes under the admin command-line folder|
|pulsar-client||Classes under the client command-line folder|
Docs for external command-line tools or bare scripts are updated manually:
Update client/function matrix
Pulsar Feature Matrix outlines every feature supported by the Pulsar client and function.
- It's public and everyone has access to edit it. You can reach out to
email@example.com you have problems in editing.
- This matrix will be moved to the Pulsar website (instead of the spreadsheet) in the future.
If you want to update the Pulsar Feature Matrix, follow the steps below.
- Submit your code and doc PRs.
- Get your PR reviewed and merged.
- In the Pulsar Feature Matrix, check the box in the corresponding cell with the links of PRs and doc site.