Pulsar is a multi-tenant, high-performance solution for server-to-server messaging originally developed by Yahoo and now under the stewardship of the Apache Software Foundation.
Pulsar's key features include:
- Native support for multiple clusters in a Pulsar instance, with seamless geo-replication of messages across clusters
- Very low publish and end-to-end latency
- Seamless scalability out to over a million topics
- A simple client API with bindings for Java, Go, Python and C++
- Multiple subscription types for topics (exclusive, shared, and failover)
- Guaranteed message delivery with persistent message storage provided by Apache BookKeeper
- A serverless lightweight computing framework Pulsar Functions offers stream native data processing.
- A serverless connector framework Pulsar IO built on-top-of Pulsar Functions to make moving data in and out Apache Pulsar easier.
- Tiered Storage offloads data from hot/warm storage to cold/long-term storage (such as S3 and GCS) when the data is aging out.